AASL Bookshelf Program
It’s a fact: School librarians love authors and illustrators and meeting them face-to-face is a highlight of attending AASL National Conference. To meet this demand, AASL is launching the AASL Bookshelf Program at the 2021 conference to allow authors and illustrators to meet their biggest fans – both before and during the conference and in Salt Lake City.
AASL is dedicated to equity, diversity, and inclusion to ensure we serve and represent the entire community. The bookshelf program allows independent authors and authors represented by small publishers to attend a national education conference, network with readers, and have their print books sold in the onsite bookstore managed by AASL/ALA staff.
A low price point of $255 includes the following:
- One hour of signing time in a dedicated space on the exhibit floor.
- Author/illustrator will be provided with a table, chair, and signage for posting name and book title(s).
- Pre-show marketing to all attendees including:
- Dedicated email listing all titles available in the AASL/ALA Bookstore.
- Pre-show video shared on AASL social media.
- Onsite marketing to all attendees including:
- Flyer listing all participating author/illustrator titles available in the AASL/ALA Bookstore.
- Flyer listing all signing times.
- On-site catalog in AASL/ALA Bookstore.
- Signing schedule posted to the AASL National Conference website.
- Signing schedule included in conference mobile app.
- One print book for placement and sale in AASL bookstore.
- The author/illustrator will be eligible to participate in a concurrent session panel.
An author/illustrator can add on to their program package with the purchase of up to three additional titles to be included in the bookstore for $75/title or an additional video to be posted to AASL social media before the conference for $75.
Details and logistics:
- Space in the AASL Bookshelf program is limited. An author/illustrator may apply for a space by completing this form. AASL will review applications and select authors/illustrators for 12 spots. Applications are due Wednesday, March 31, 2021.
- The bookshelf program allows independent authors and authors represented by small publishers to attend a national education conference, network with readers, and have their print books sold in the onsite bookstore managed by AASL/ALA staff. It is not intended for larger publishers to purchase multiple spaces in lieu of exhibiting. For exhibiting options, please contact AASL’s exhibit management company, Corcoran.
- Signing times are on a first-come, first-serve basis based on date application was submitted. A signed contract will hold space for 45 days. Payment is due 45 days after contract is signed or space will be released.
- A maximum of three additional books and one additional social media video may be purchased per author/illustrator at time of contract execution.
- Any contract finalized after June 1, 2021, will not be guaranteed placement in onsite print marketing materials but will be included in the conference addendum.
- ALA uses a third-party book distributor may be able to include print titles in their order for easy delivery and return. Any author/illustrator who chooses to use ALA’s master ordering process will incur an additional 5% on each sale to cover the cost of shipping and returns.
- Books may be shipped to ALA/AASL from the publisher/author/illustrator but must be received no later than September 1, 2021. Shipping details will be sent approximately three months prior to the deadline. Unsold copies will be returned, but a shipping slip or account number must be submitted to AASL/ALA.
- If an author/illustrator will be distributing complimentary print copies during their signing time, delivery details and deadline will be sent approximately three months prior to the show.
- Production of videos are the responsibility of the author/illustrator. Files will be submitted to AASL and posted to AASL social media.
All questions regarding author programming at the AASL National Conference should be directed to Jen Habley at email@example.com or (800) 545-2433, ext. 4383.